Senator Bernie Sanders announced at the White House on December 13th that he would be withdrawing the war powers resolution on the war on Yemen that has killed over 300,000 people and over 400,000 children, pushed millions into starvation and riddled the country with poverty and disease.
Today, I withdrew from consideration by the U.S. Senate my War Powers Resolution after the Biden administration agreed to continue working with my office on ending the war in Yemen.
— Bernie Sanders (@SenSanders) December 14, 2022
“Today, I withdrew from consideration by the U.S. Senate my War Powers Resolution after the Biden administration agreed to continue working with my office on ending the war in Yemen,” he said. “Let me be clear. If we do not reach an agreement, I will, along with my colleagues, bring this resolution back for a vote in the near future and do everything possible to end this horrific conflict.”
The US-backed Saudi War on Yemen over eight years ago has brought the country down to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, and just this month, a faint hope surfaced that the war might actually come to an end. Senator Bernie Sanders reassured that his war powers resolution would have the votes if he brought it to the floor.
However, things turned topsy when President Joe Biden’s administration clashed with Sanders. According to the Intercept, Senator Alex Padilla, a California Democrat, voted against the objective alongside his counterpart, Senator Dianne Feinstein, another Democrat, soon following suit. Later that Tuesday, Sanders withdrew the resolution, citing that he would work with the White House to negotiate the new language that everyone could agree on and even promising to reintroduce it.
According to the Jacobin, Sanders didn’t have the votes he initially thought he had in order to pass the measure, citing he probably chose to withdraw rather than risk a defeat that would not have the best consequences.
I’m LIVE on the floor of the Senate NOW to discuss why the United States must end its involvement in the devastating Saudi-led war in Yemen. https://t.co/iGACgnObc0
— Bernie Sanders (@SenSanders) December 13, 2022
Back in February last year, President Joe Biden’s Executive Order hinted at his motive to end the War against Yemen to which he has done little to nothing about. The Jacobin further added saying ‘’by whipping to kill Sanders’s resolution this week, the White House has, in effect, tacitly but publicly admitted its backing of the Saudi-led campaign has not really ended, and that the issue wasn’t solved by the President’s pen.’’
Fellow US Ally and aggressor Saudi Arabia publicly halted the bombing in Yemen since April this year, yet reports have been emerging from Yemen of several innocent deaths caused by Saudi bombs despite the ceasefire.
Critics have even pointed out how the White House’s justification for opposing the bill could wreak havoc for Yemen since the truce between the parties expired two months ago.
With the US mostly if not always being on the side of the war wager, the already impoverished country Yemen has been pushed towards the brink of disappearing from the map. Saudi Arabia has killed hundreds of thousands, put millions at risk of acute starvation, and has even reportedly sent diseases like Cholera and Diphtheria, which are eating at the Yemeni population.
Arm sales, logistics, providing maintenance and spare parts from the US is what has equipped the Saudi led coalition to continue fighting its war on Yemen.
Experts including a former US Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, the Arab Center Washington DC’s Executive Director, and a former US diplomat to Yemen who joined the hawkish Atlantic Council have all said the war couldn’t go much longer if the United States pulled its support.
Despite Senator Sanders’ promise to help end the war on Yemen, former UN Special Envoy to Yemen Jamal Benomar said that there really hasn’t been any diplomatic progress; “There’s been no political process, no negotiations, or even a prospect of them. So, an all-out war can resume at any time.”
If you value our journalism…
TMJ News is committed to remaining an independent, reader-funded news platform. A small donation from our valuable readers like you keeps us running so that we can keep our reporting open to all! We’ve launched a fundraising campaign to raise the $10,000 we need to meet our publishing costs this year, and it’d mean the world to us if you’d make a monthly or one-time donation to help. If you value what we publish and agree that our world needs alternative voices like ours in the media, please give what you can today.